Camp Newton will offer three 1-week S.T.E.A.M. summer camp programs for 2018 designed specifically for children diagnosed on the higher end of the Autism Spectrum as well as non-diagnosed children with similar disabilities. Camp Newton sessions incorporate creativity, problem solving, and collaboration. Each day will have a unique theme for students to explore and learn. Here is just some of what your child will learn during our summer programs:
- To observe and interpret social expectations
- To become more flexible thinkers
- To strengthen social problem solving
- Planning and organizational skills
- And much more!
- Owl Pellets: Learn about owls and the animals they eat by doing an owl pellet dissection.
- Pond & Creek Water: Students explore pond waterand compare the types of species found in two separate samples, and proposing reasons for different levels of biodiversity.
- Coding: In this coding adventure, aspiring innovators create fun animated stories and games while learning essential programming concepts with Scratch. Using sprites and blocks, this drag-and-drop platform developed by MIT sets a foundation of computational thinking—an essential skill in today’s tech-driven world—by using bright visuals and engaging design.
- Egg Drop Challenge: What happens when you drop an egg from ceiling-height? It cracks and creates a giant mess, right? Challenge your child to engineer a vessel that will protect the egg and keep it from breaking when dropped.
- Build a paper rollercoaster: Using Canon’s printer-friendly roller coaster template and corresponding instructions. Print and assemble your very own paper roller coaster, and then assemble your coaster car and race it around the track.
- Collage: Cut, paste, and paint. Dive into magazines and paper to create a series of pictures, posters, or pages about something important to you. Dream boards, fractured portraits, imaginary places, creatures, or machines.
- Nature Crafts: Learn how to make fun crafts using materials from nature. Take an adventure walk outside to collect natural treasures to make a secret garden, stepping-stones, rock jewelry, and more!
- Paper Polyhedra: Students will learn about Polyhedras and how to make one out of ordinary playing cards
- You Do the Math- Build a Skyscraper: Find out what it takes to build high in the sky. Follow each stage of the project and complete the math exercises to build one of the world’s tallest buildings! We’re counting on YOU to do the math! Featuring math problems from addition and decimals to line graphs and pie charts with a varying range of difficulty.
- Math Art: Students will learn about bar graphing skills (and even pi!) with this city skyline activity. Using the number Pi, students will create a bar graph, which will create a city skyline.
For more information on Camp Newton, please contact us at NLCNV@secondstart.org or you can contact the school at 775.358.0808. All students must go through an intake for Camp Newton before enrolling.